Switch to full style
Sit with friends around the campfire. Roast a couple marshmallows, talk about local interests and issues. Hang around and talk with your neighbors. Breaking news topics and photos. Local questions and more...
Post a reply

Man claims self-defense after shooting elk in national park

Sat Jun 13, 2015 6:00 pm

http://www.9news.com/story/news/2015/06 ... /71170976/

Re: Man claims self-defense after shooting elk in national p

Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:46 am

Hard to know the facts with no witnesses, but I had an Elk herd try to run me down and I was able to duck behind a tree.

Tue Jun 16, 2015 7:20 pm

So does that mean it is acceptable to carry a gun in the park? I thought they weren't allowed.

As for the cow elk, guess the tree wasn't big enough to hide behind and not shoot?

I have had an cow elk run after me as I was crossing a park in EV and turned and faced her and she stopped. If I had a walking stick or something with me I would have used it to look bigger. When I turned and started walking she came after me again so I turned and faced her again and this time walked backwards, always facing her until I was able to get further away. She could have easily have used her hooves but facing her in this instance kept her from doing anything. Glad it worked.

Tue Jun 16, 2015 7:26 pm

Whoops. I don't know how to get the video of a cow elk chasing a runner in Evergreen.

http://denver.cbslocal.com/2015/06/15/e ... eir-young/

Tue Jun 16, 2015 7:28 pm

Yes on those videos we can't embed but the link works! Thank you.

Wed Jun 17, 2015 8:28 am

They recently changed the rules about concealed carry in National Parks. Not all Parks are safe from human predators and National Parks in Alaska you have to worry about bears.
Post a reply