Switch to full style
Hang out with your friends and discuss all sports anytime. We are open 24/7!
Post a reply

Is the salary cap too low?

Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:26 pm

From the perspective of the Denver Broncos, one of the things that comes up repeatedly is the percentage of overall cap space Peyton Manning takes. One question that some have asked is whether the salary cap is currently too low to rationally take into account the amount of money NFL QBs command on an open market.

Is it really a good thing that fans pay close attention to capology rather than football?

Re: Is the salary cap too low?

Sat Feb 15, 2014 2:53 pm

Yeah, Rigelian. This is something that VL and I have gone over and 90 mil was alot for one player, Manning. QB's are overpaid and They should take QB's salary out of the cap.

Sat Feb 15, 2014 4:02 pm

I hear you CG. The Seahawks are going to have to face this when Russell Wilson's rookie contract ends in at the end of this year. I mean the issue could be mitigated by raising the overall cap, but I'm not sure Football owners would want to see that.

Sat Feb 15, 2014 4:09 pm

You know that the broncos got fined for going over the in 1998 when they won the SB?

Sat Feb 15, 2014 4:57 pm

Cinnamongirl wrote:You know that the broncos got fined for going over the in 1998 when they won the SB?

No I didn't know that. I did hear someone suggest that that had happened. I also understand that the 49ers were known for their cap trickery. I know that when I read stories about the cap, it takes great effort to keep my eyes open. I'm not sure that this is good for the sport.

Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:34 pm

Yes, fans, the Denver Broncos cheated the salary cap. But not the way so many think. Take a closer look – even a minor, inch-deep look beyond the surface – and you’ll see the salary cap infringements were a mere technicality. And it’s the type of thing that still goes on around the NFL every year, for every team.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/ar ... Sep17.html

http://broncotalk.net/2008/05/1485/bron ... the-1990s/
Post a reply