It is currently Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:15 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Please visit our local business partners   Site Terms of ServicePrivacy Policy
All the Right Moves Dance American Restoration Anytime Fitness Applicable Life Coaching by Dr. Mike Cabin Creek Barbecue Colorado Taekwondo Institute (CTI) Diane Glover, Keller Williams Foothills Realty Holistic Horse Training Firewise Pro Inglenook Energy Center Montessori School of Conifer Paragon Martial Arts Peak Academy of Dance Pet Tips Bound R & R Roofing & Siding, Inc. Relax Salon Taspen's Organics & Holistic Wellness Center

For partnership opportunities email-partners@285bound.com

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:13 pm 

Will Alec Baldwin lose jobs for the homophobic tweets he posted yesterday? Probably not.

Post subject: The Racist Paula Deen?
PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:37 pm 

Some opinions are more equal than others, sort of like animals.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:44 pm 

I think this letter summed up the heart of the problem perfectly.

Problem two…I want you to understand that I am probably more angry about the cloud of smoke this fiasco has created for other issues surrounding race and Southern food. ... Systemic racism in the world of Southern food and public discourse not your past epithets are what really piss me off. There is so much press and so much activity around Southern food and yet the diversity of people of color engaged in this art form and telling and teaching its history and giving it a future are often passed up or disregarded. Gentrification in our cities, the lack of attention to Southern food deserts often inhabited by the non-elites that aren’t spoken about, the ignorance and ignoring of voices beyond a few token Black cooks/chefs or being called on to speak to our issues as an afterthought is what gets me mad. In the world of Southern food, we are lacking a diversity of voices and that does not just mean Black people—or Black perspectives! We are surrounded by culinary injustice where some Southerners take credit for things that enslaved Africans and their descendants played key roles in innovating. Barbecue, in my lifetime, may go the way of the Blues and the banjo….a relic of our culture that whisps away. That tragedy rooted in the unwillingness to give African American barbecue masters and other cooks an equal chance at the platform is far more galling than you saying “n*****,” in childhood ignorance or emotional rage or social whimsy.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Photo Courtesy of: Johnathan M. Lewis
http://afroculinaria.com/2013/06/25/an- ... aula-deen/

Sometimes I feel like an alien

But Mr. Jones said, "Hey young girl
Don't feel sorry for yourself
The world's out there"

There's a moonchild for everyone
Oh little moonchild, you're not the only one

- Moonchild by Shakespear's Sister

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:21 pm 

I did not know culinary injustice was such a problem.

Moonchild wrote:
I think this letter summed up the heart of the problem perfectly.

Problem two…I want you to understand that I am probably more angry about the cloud of smoke this fiasco has created for other issues surrounding race and Southern food. ... Systemic racism in the world of Southern food and public discourse not your past epithets are what really piss me off. There is so much press and so much activity around Southern food and yet the diversity of people of color engaged in this art form and telling and teaching its history and giving it a future are often passed up or disregarded. Gentrification in our cities, the lack of attention to Southern food deserts often inhabited by the non-elites that aren’t spoken about, the ignorance and ignoring of voices beyond a few token Black cooks/chefs or being called on to speak to our issues as an afterthought is what gets me mad. In the world of Southern food, we are lacking a diversity of voices and that does not just mean Black people—or Black perspectives! We are surrounded by culinary injustice where some Southerners take credit for things that enslaved Africans and their descendants played key roles in innovating. Barbecue, in my lifetime, may go the way of the Blues and the banjo….a relic of our culture that whisps away. That tragedy rooted in the unwillingness to give African American barbecue masters and other cooks an equal chance at the platform is far more galling than you saying “n*****,” in childhood ignorance or emotional rage or social whimsy.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Photo Courtesy of: Johnathan M. Lewis
http://afroculinaria.com/2013/06/25/an- ... aula-deen/

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:11 am 

Quote:
Barbecue, in my lifetime, may go the way of the Blues and the banjo….a relic of our culture that whisps away.
Yeah right, when pigs fly or are banned as food.

Quote:
That tragedy rooted in the unwillingness to give African American barbecue masters and other cooks an equal chance at the platform is far more galling than you saying “n*****,” in childhood ignorance or emotional rage or social whimsy.
HUH? :smackshead:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:43 pm 

And all this is Paula Deen's fault? Who'd a thunk it.