It is currently Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:33 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Please visit our local business partners   Site Terms of ServicePrivacy Policy
All the Right Moves Dance American Restoration Anytime Fitness Applicable Life Coaching by Dr. Mike Cabin Creek Barbecue Colorado Taekwondo Institute (CTI) Diane Glover, Keller Williams Foothills Realty Holistic Horse Training Firewise Pro Inglenook Energy Center Montessori School of Conifer Paragon Martial Arts Peak Academy of Dance Pet Tips Bound R & R Roofing & Siding, Inc. Relax Salon Taspen's Organics & Holistic Wellness Center

For partnership opportunities email-partners@285bound.com

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:39 pm 

I was surprised by the numbers. My cat always tries to escape out the door, but once he makes it, he is terrified and runs back in.

"In a report that scaled up local surveys and pilot studies to national dimensions, scientists from the Smithsonian Conservation Biology Institute and the Fish and Wildlife Service estimated that domestic cats in the United States — both the pet Fluffies that spend part of the day outdoors and the unnamed strays and ferals that never leave it — kill a median of 2.4 billion birds and 12.3 billion mammals a year, most of them native mammals like shrews, chipmunks and voles rather than introduced pests like the Norway rat."

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/30/scien ... ml?hp&_r=0

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:12 pm 

I remember this story from years, maybe decades ago, there was a movement to bell out door cats for the very same reason.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:24 pm 

But Voles are pests and rodents...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:31 pm 

I'm not a cat fan but there are a couple of feral cats that have setup shop around my place and they do a good job of keeping down the vermin. They don't want anything to with me or the Wundermutt and that seems to be fine with all parties. I don't put any food or water out for them and they don't come around looking for anything other than what they can find on their own.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." -Henry Ford

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:38 pm 

Blazer Bob wrote:
I remember this story from years, maybe decades ago, there was a movement to bell out door cats for the very same reason.

They reference a report that was submitted in Sep 2012 and just published this month. I am sure there have been lots of published articles about this. I just thought the numbers were incredible.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:36 am 

Cats are evil... I got bit by one and my hand swelled up like a grapefruit :angry: Image

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:25 am 

Rick wrote:
Cats are evil... I got bit by one and my hand swelled up like a grapefruit :angry: Image

Tell me about it - I got bit right thru the knuckle. It was one of those "let me sit down, I am going to pass out moments".

But I still like cats - mine doesn't bite me.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:56 am 

Two of our kittens ambush me, with malice aforethought, on a regular basis. I'm their wildlife substitute, as none of our cats go outside.

Our next-door neighbor has two indoor/outdoor cats that are phenomenal hunters. We haven't had mice in the garage for a couple of years, and they stalk the woodpile all summer keeping down the chipmunk population. I don't like them getting the birds that feed below the seed feeders, however.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:39 pm 

Rick wrote:

I could be wrong but don't think you are supposed to pick cats up by the tail... :Whistle

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." -Henry Ford

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:26 pm 

Then again, if a cat gets out at night, that cat might find it's own deadly enemies out in the dark. Maybe even in the day, up here in the mountains.