It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:22 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Please visit our local business partners   Site Terms of ServicePrivacy Policy
All the Right Moves Dance American Restoration Anytime Fitness Applicable Life Coaching by Dr. Mike Cabin Creek Barbecue Colorado Taekwondo Institute (CTI) Diane Glover, Keller Williams Foothills Realty Holistic Horse Training Firewise Pro Inglenook Energy Center Montessori School of Conifer Paragon Martial Arts Peak Academy of Dance Pet Tips Bound R & R Roofing & Siding, Inc. Relax Salon Taspen's Organics & Holistic Wellness Center

For partnership opportunities email-partners@285bound.com

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 4:41 pm 

Hello, my name is Tim and I currently live in Phoenix with my lovely wife and two young rottweilers. My employer is closing the plant here and moving operations to Littleton. Should they choose to move me, we will be looking at the prospects of a rather involved change of lifestyle. We currently live in a 4 bedroom home in suburbia and my commute varies between 45 and 60 minutes. We have a number of hobbies (indoor and outdoor), although work has stepped on many of those in the last couple years.

After looking at homes over the last few weeks, we are really torn between life in your area and down in town. We currently have 3100 Sq ft of house and a 7000 Sq ft lot. Ideally, we would like a smaller house and a larger lot, to provide space for our dogs to run and us to live outside some. Our Phoenix lot, small as it is, is very private. It seems like lots in Southeast Denver can provide a quarter or half acre, but are rarely private in any way. There is a draw to JeffCo, but we are concerned about my wife (who will be home all day) feeling like a hermit outside of the suburbs. Also, the climate change will be dramatic for us, and will life above 8000 feet be too cold? Does the snow there come and go, or is it arctic from October to May. Sure, we will adjust from decades of desert life, but I don't want to make the first year too hard. Also, how often will I struggle to commute to Littleton in the winter (4x4 F-150 and Lifted Wrangler).

My hope was to give enough context to solicit this forum's collective wisdom about life up in the mountains. The space, beauty, and privacy are very compelling. Will the cold or seclusion be extreme, especially for a stay-at home mom?

Thank you for you help. I would love to be neighbors someday.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:26 pm 

Hello Tim,

You choice between living in the city and up at 8000 feet depends more on the kind of people you are and what you expect from your local community. Many people buy a place in Conifer or Bailey only to turn around and sell it after one winter.

If you voted for Obama and expect the government is the answer to all problems...
Life in the mountains will be very rough. The kind of government services you will be expecting may be very different - or will not exist at all. It will be like living in the artic from October to May. You will have at least a foot of snow 3 or 4 days a week, with the slickest ice on the road the remaining 3 days.

The cold and seclusion will seem extreme and cabin fever will set on in just a few weeks. It's quite possible that your wife will want to kill you before spring- happens all the time up here. ☢☠.

Have you ever heard of Alferd Packer? He died at his cabin in Deer Creek, in Jefferson County, Colorado, reputedly of "Senility - trouble & worry" at the age of 65. Packer resorted to some creative BBQ in his early days as a result of having moved into the mountains around here. Better check that out. Packer is widely rumored to have become a vegetarian before his death. He was buried in Littleton, Colorado - right around where your new work location is.

However- if you did not vote for Obama and can take responsibility for yourself...

This can be a great place to live. You will only find snow too deep to drive in to work maybe once or twice a month at the most, and your studded snow tires will handle the ice with no problems. If you and your wife's idea of recreation is pine trees and nature - you are gonna love it up here, but if you need a "recreation center" to get your exercise- please refer to the "Voted for Obama" section of this post. We have more parks up here than you will be able to explore, and they have more recreation centers for you in the city. I recommend highlands ranch for the yuppie types.

While in town the houses are packed in pretty tight- your neighbors are just across the fence but you may never really know them- might not ever actually meet them. It seems less lonely down there but my experience is that most "city" dwellers are not as connected to the community as we are up here.

While our houses up here are typically spread out a little more, our community is much closer than it seems. There is always something going on up here- all summer long and even in the winter. I know more lonely people who live in the city - than up here in the hills.

Sounds like you have the vehicles to live up here- but do you have the independent sprit and personal responsibility kind of attitude you will love it up here but if you don't, the wife will drive you crazy real fast.

Choose wisely - your life may depend on it. If you have any doubts - move to the city!

(Typical commute times from Conifer to Littleton are in the range of 30 to 40 minutes each way).

Photo of Alferd Packer.

"It's easier to sell free stuff than it is to sell freedom and personal responsibility"

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

Atlas Shrugged: From Fiction to Fact in 55 Years - http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123146363567166677.html

"Government can't solve the problem. Government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:50 pm 

BearMtnHIB,

I don't know you from Adam, but I already like you. Anybody who despises the current resident of 1600 Pennsylvania Ave, and quotes the Gipper, is my kind of guy. We tolerate the cities because I work in aerospace, but my heart is in the mountains. My perfect home would have a shooting bench on the back porch and a thousand yard range. I fled Maryland in 1994 to the free state of Arizona, and now we sadly have to leave. But Colorado has always been a favorite destination for our camping trips, especially the mountains above Silverton. Should my employer move us, I know we will fall in love with you state, and truly embrace the local lifestyle. We want to become "natives" wherever we go.

Thanks for your perspective. We are certainly torn, mostly concerned about whether we are up to the challenges JeffCo presents to a couple Zones leaving suburbia. Your point about community is valid. I now know more about you than my neighbor of 19 years. We want to know our neighbors and be part of a community. We want to share a beer and a pizza by the fire, swapping stories and wandering where the evening went. And when it comes to government, we want to be left alone.

Hopefully, we can visit in January, hook up with a real estate agent and get a feel for life in town and in the mountains. God willing, the choice will become obvious.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:33 am 

Tim, I was half kidding I hope you know.

But there's truth in the fact that I feel for the most part- people up here are more social and friendly. I lived "down the hill" for 6 years in Lakewood and I can tell you that I did not know most of my neighbors.

A few. But back home in the hills feels much more like a community than it ever did in the city. I know the people at the grocery store and they know me. The girls at my bank know me and I can withdraw 500 bucks without showing my ID. Try that one in the city!

Sounds like you and your wife will get along just fine up here. The way I see it- all the city folks flock up into the hills every chance they get. Many of them have a commute that takes just as long as mine except they live in a crowded city. I'm already where I want to be when I wake up on Saturday morning.

My attitude is that you might as well live where you want to be, it may take a few more minutes to get to the store or to the bank- but the views are worth it.

"It's easier to sell free stuff than it is to sell freedom and personal responsibility"

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

Atlas Shrugged: From Fiction to Fact in 55 Years - http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123146363567166677.html

"Government can't solve the problem. Government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:46 pm 

Quote:
Anybody who despises the current resident of 1600 Pennsylvania Ave

You fit in with me. VL, ain't going to like it though. Nice to meet you.

Check a fact before it becomes a fact.