It is currently Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:43 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Please visit our local business partners   Site Terms of ServicePrivacy Policy
All the Right Moves Dance American Restoration Anytime Fitness Applicable Life Coaching by Dr. Mike Cabin Creek Barbecue Colorado Taekwondo Institute (CTI) Diane Glover, Keller Williams Foothills Realty Holistic Horse Training Firewise Pro Inglenook Energy Center Montessori School of Conifer Paragon Martial Arts Peak Academy of Dance Pet Tips Bound R & R Roofing & Siding, Inc. Relax Salon Taspen's Organics & Holistic Wellness Center

For partnership opportunities email-partners@285bound.com

Post subject: Weird barking behavior
PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:38 am 

We've got a 4 yr old Lhasa mix that we got from a shelter. We've had her for a little over a year and she has been a really great dog. She has one issue that we are not sure how to deal with. If I am just standing around, either in the kitchen or on the edge of the living room, she will start barking at me like I am an intruder or as if I was scaring her. I am usually 4-5 feet away and not looming over her when this happens. She will calm down if I talk to her and come when I call, she does not try to bite or anything like that. It feels like she is having some kind of flashback from an earlier trauma. She does not respond this way to my wife, and Billie (the dog) is otherwise normal. She will come to me when I call or on her own for play or attention.
Is there something we can do to help her get over this?
Thanks

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:42 am 

Is she asking you to feed her since you're near the kitchen each time or does she do this in any room? How high is her tail when she is barking?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:44 pm 

Thank you for your question. Honestly, to me it seems like your dog is simply trying to assert herself with you. When dogs bark at you like that, I find they're mostly trying to say "This is my space; back away!" And if you pet her afterwards, you are reinforcing this behavior. This is something you should probably consult with a trainer about, as there are many methods for removing this behavior. I would do something soon, because domineering behavior like that often starts to slowly leak into other facets of the dog's life - she may start barking at more people, in different situations, etc. So the sooner you resolve it, the better for everyone involved!

Proper Brushing Technique for your Dog

Post subject: Weird barking behavior
PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:09 pm 

Thanks for the advice, I'll get in touch with someone about how to deal with her barking, but I will definitely stop "rewarding" the behavior.