It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:34 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Please visit our local business partners   Site Terms of ServicePrivacy Policy
All the Right Moves Dance American Restoration Anytime Fitness Applicable Life Coaching by Dr. Mike Cabin Creek Barbecue Colorado Taekwondo Institute (CTI) Diane Glover, Keller Williams Foothills Realty Holistic Horse Training Firewise Pro Inglenook Energy Center Montessori School of Conifer Paragon Martial Arts Peak Academy of Dance Pet Tips Bound R & R Roofing & Siding, Inc. Relax Salon Taspen's Organics & Holistic Wellness Center

For partnership opportunities email-partners@285bound.com

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:57 am 

You are all making me want to fish today. Weather has not been cooperating.

Check a fact before it becomes a fact.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:39 am 

Reel good fishing at Gibson lake this past week (7/20). I was up there to fish by 10:00 and did not see anyone else until my way back down around 4:30. Lots of brook trout by the south shore & inlet. Cutthroats were cruising along the north shore and shallows. Vert pretty fish up there.
Brookie
Cutthroat female
Cutthroat male
Panorama from north shore
Panorama from south shore
Chilly dogs
Wildflowers
Snow melt angel
Trailside creek

The trail was in decent shape with a few snow fields along the way, which the dogs really enjoyed. Wild flowers were still nice too. A reel good way to beat the heat if you don't mind the hike. The road to the trailhead is rough so if you don't have high clearance you will add about 1-1/2 miles to your hike. Bring mosquito repellant and sunscreen.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:52 pm 

Shelf Lake was fishing VERY GOOD on 9/4/2011. I fished from shore and was casting less than 30 feet out and caught an occasional fish on dry flies. After a while I was noticing the cutthroat were cruising very close to shore and biting on anything in their path. All I needed to do was wait for a cruiser and flip the fly out about 10 feet in front of it and BAM!! They are very beautifully colored and fought well before being released back to the lake. I was using a few ugly flies that I tied myself and just wanted to get them wet. The best 2 were tied spent wing with olive or blue bodies. I also caught a number of them on an orange asher pattern.

The hike up was a moderate 2 hour trip with the dogs. The wildflowers are still in bloom and the weather was perfect. Bring your camera!!

Here are a few pics. I'll try to load more later.

Nice male Greenback in spawning colors

Female Greenback

Another female greenback

Young cutthroat

Wildflowers along the trail

Decatur Mountain reflection

One of my fishin' partners in the lake

Coming back down the valley

Panorama from south shore (with Decatur and Square Top mtns. in background)

Panorama from north shore (with fishing partner)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:15 pm 

I do like Shelf lake. Great pictures Photo.

But it's more than a 3 hour hike, more like a day and a half, You'll have to cross several high passes, fight off bears, giant beavers, Big foots and hermits. You can bribe the hermits with coffee if you have enough. I wouldn't attempt the hike with out a week's provisions and plenty of ammo. Better yet I would not go at all.

But if you continue on up the road you'll come across a very unique geologic feature, The Geneva Basin Iron Fens

This was taken a couple of years ago

“We're developing a new citizenry. One that will be very selective about cereals and automobiles, but won't be able to think.”
― Rod Sterling

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:09 pm 

DOW truck just left Evergreen Lake. 8,500 trout stocked today!!!!!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:17 pm 

Hmmm....

Awsome pics of the lakes.....

8,500 trout- I might actually catch one.

"It's easier to sell free stuff than it is to sell freedom and personal responsibility"

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

Atlas Shrugged: From Fiction to Fact in 55 Years - http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123146363567166677.html

"Government can't solve the problem. Government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:21 pm 

Use dynamite, catch several. :thumbsup:
Just kidding of course.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:07 pm 

HEARTLESS wrote:
Use dynamite, catch several. :thumbsup:
Just kidding of course.

I was using electricity yesterday to catch fish in the Mt. Evans Wilderness area. Of course I was with DOW and they were all returned back into the creek. We were about 200 yards past the Camp Rock Campground.In less than 300 feet of tiny creek we surveyed about 90 Brook Trout and 1 Cutthroat.

Bucket of Brook Trout

Weights and Measures

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:08 pm 

The Mt. Evans Wilderness is beautiful and has a great loop hike of about 11 miles beyond where you were. Love that area.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:45 am 

Jefferson Lake was very active yesterday (10/3). I took an extra day off and had the far end of the lake all to myself. There were about 10 people fishing on the boat ramp side and one in a belly boat. Fish were rising most of the day along the edges. Almost any dry fly could catch one but to get the bigger fish you want to go deeper and use a bigger lure. Try a big bugger or Zonker if you are out on the lake. The wind was a bit tough at times and the lake level is the lowest I have seen before. Saw some more fresh moose tracks near the inlet. The colors are almost gone and the entrance gate is not manned. Maybe about 2-3 weeks and this lake will be iced I would guess.

I'm off next Monday for Columbus Day and will be in S. Denver for an appt. I was thinking about hitting the ponds near Santa Fe & C-470. Anyone tried there yet or have a report?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next