It is currently Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:35 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Please visit our local business partners   Site Terms of ServicePrivacy Policy
All the Right Moves Dance American Restoration Anytime Fitness Applicable Life Coaching by Dr. Mike Cabin Creek Barbecue Colorado Taekwondo Institute (CTI) Diane Glover, Keller Williams Foothills Realty Holistic Horse Training Firewise Pro Inglenook Energy Center Montessori School of Conifer Paragon Martial Arts Peak Academy of Dance Pet Tips Bound R & R Roofing & Siding, Inc. Relax Salon Taspen's Organics & Holistic Wellness Center

For partnership opportunities email-partners@285bound.com

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:59 pm 

Martin Ent Inc wrote:
Been several studies on catch and release. Even if handeled carefully mortality rates were still high.

http://myfwc.com/research/saltwater/fish/other/catch-release-fishing/

Average Mortality = 2.76% http://www.acuteangling.com/Reference/C&RMortality.html
Quote:
Two factors predominate when considering the causes of angled fish mortality: the hooking location, and the degree of physiological stress suffered by the fish

http://www.dnr.state.md.us/fisheries/recreational/articles/crmortalityresearch.html

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:55 am 

Glad to see the rate is that low PF, I would have guessed much higher than 2.7%.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:11 am 

I fish to put dinner on the table. I only throw back what the rules say to throw back, otherwise I'm going to eat um.

This is why I fish- to catch a fish I can eat.

"It's easier to sell free stuff than it is to sell freedom and personal responsibility"

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

Atlas Shrugged: From Fiction to Fact in 55 Years - http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123146363567166677.html

"Government can't solve the problem. Government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:05 pm 

Good to know, but it is FL. LOL (born and raised there before transplaning, they will say anything to get snowbirds to come)

The study I read was in a magazine at the eye docs office. It was conducted on trout in several states but the main one was AK.

I caught 5 today ranging from 12" to 17" released 2 and put the others on the grill.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:06 pm 

We floated the upper Colorado, last weekend. We released all but one, I had to have at least one for breakfast. :biggrin:

“We're developing a new citizenry. One that will be very selective about cereals and automobiles, but won't be able to think.”
― Rod Sterling

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:39 pm 

:like:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:24 am 

Went fishing with the grands yesterday. Did catch and release into the frying pan. Yummy.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:37 pm 

14 Ways To Prevent Fish Mortality
If you practice catch and release.
http://www.ginkandgasoline.com/fly-fishing-tips-technique/14-ways-to-prevent-fish-mortality/

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:19 pm 

Catch and release is inhumane. The fisherman's guilt pacifier of wet hands does not make the practice of handling the fish safe for the fish. Most will die because of this handling.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Some mornings, it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:11 pm 

What's your source?
That's your opinion and my opinion is that yours is wrong. Most DO NOT die. Yes certain practices lead to high mortality (bait, playing too long, fishing already stresses fish etc.) How do you think the fish in catch and release sections grow to be so big and so old. If mortality is as high as you believe, they would not be there.

As far as inhmane, I don't believe so.

"Fish never suffered an anticipation of the pain as a human would. As soon as the pain stops, fish resume the business of feeding and schooling or nesting or ignoring flies or whatever fish work they were engaged in. Says Dr. Thompson: “Their brains are not wired up like ours and don't even have all the same parts that our brains do.”
I have caught the same fish before during the same 1/2 hour.

I don't feel any guilt when I release a fish back into the wild unless I know it might not make it. That happens, I won't deny it. But it does not happen by my hand very often at all. I have seen some terrible actions that some considered a safe release where I know that fish would not survive. It is up to people who know how, to educate those who don't.
Please also read through a few of the links I posted above like
http://www.acuteangling.com/Reference/C&RMortality.html